Back in October 2019 I wrote a blog on “What size rug do I really need?”. If you missed it, you can check it out here!
Today I’d like to discuss the different characteristics of natural fiber rugs. The choices can be overwhelming, and given you don’t purchase rugs that often, you want to make the most informed choice.
So, what are the differences between wool, silk, cotton and sisal?
- Repels dirt
- Easiest to maintain
- Strong elastin fibers, will last years
- Retains color
- Inherently flame resistant
- Can be expensive
- Soft, supple, luxurious
- Enhances the details of a pattern providing a beautiful sheen
- Long lasting
- Harder to clean, so place where spills are unlikely
- Easy to clean
- Great for a casual space
- Will absorb liquids so treat spills quickly
- Does not wear well over time
- Strong, durable in high traffic areas
- Great casual look
- Absorbs liquid making it hard to clean
Overall, wool is the winner! Thinking of adding a rug to a room or updating your home? Give us a call, we can make the decision process easier. 914.234.7066.
Susan Marocco Interiors is a full service interior design firm, staffed with professional American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) who have the training and expertise to plan, schedule, execute and manage your project from concept to completion. Our firm creates interiors that are elegant, distinctive and comfortable. Our inspiration comes first from listening. We then meld our skills and experiences to our clients' wants and needs. We develop design solutions that reflect their taste and lifestyles.
To find out how Susan Marocco Interiors can help you with all your design needs, please contact us today!